University of Padova, Italy
Research Topics: The LiNbO3 research group led by C. Sada was strongly involved in various projects of national interest (PRIN, FIRB, FISR) and in european projects. Among te others, the most important projects :
1) Realisation of a frequency converter prototype in Zr doped lithium niobate crystals (Excellence Projet founded by CARIPARO foundation 2008-2009 , Principal Investigator=C.Sada),
2) Realisation of an integrated opto-microfluidic circuit in lithium niobate (Excellence Projet founded by CARIPARO foundation 2011-2012 , Principal Investigator=C.Sada), Special care devoted to development in the optical trapping by electrophoretic and dielectrophoretic forces;
3) the preparation and characterization of bulk doped LiNbO3 crystals with rare earth and locally doped LiNbO3 wafers with metals in order to obtain active substrates for light amplification (Project FIRB "Microdevices based on LiNbO3 crystals", period 2003-2006) and holographic data recording (Progetto di Ateneo 2007, Principal Investigator=C.Sada),
4) preparation and characterization of LiNbO3 substrates bulk doped with erbium in order to realise "Integrated amplifiers e laser sources within soliton waveguides in Er:LiNbO3" working at 1.55um (PRIN05),
5) incorporation and characterization of metal and semiconductor nanoparticles in insulating materials and relative dynamics of formation for applications in nonlinear optics and sensors,
6) co-doping and characterization of vetrous matrices with rare earth and sensitizing nanoparticles for the realization of integrated amplifiers at 1.55um (European project FP5-IST SINERGIA),
7) Study of materials and processes for the taylored modification of surfaces and interfaces response, with particular care devoted to application in sensors and production/detection of hydrogen,
8) Realisation of an integrated optical platform for chemical analysis (Photon-lab on chip, PRIN08, responsible on UNIPD Unit).
Moreover she activelly collaborated in INTAS and NATO projects (partners: MIET-Moscow; Universidad Autonoma-Madrid) focused on the realization of active waveguides in lithium niobate crystals by means of the ion exchange technique. She was deeply engaged in the research activities within projects financed by the Italian Space Agency ASI (i.e. Project Mogat II) for the realisation of optical modulators made by high energy ion implantation of medium light elements with particular attention to the study of the implantation damage and the compositional effects induced on the matrix. These modulators are exploited as Mach-Zehnder interferometers for the gas tracing in the stratospheric atmosphere.
Expertise: (1) growth of LiNbO3 crystals both pure and doped by the Czochralski technique;
(2) local doping of ferroelectric materials (LiNbO3, LiTaO3) with metals and rare earth for phonics and optoelectronics applications with particular care dedicated to the development of models describing the diffusion mechanims in solids.
(3) growth of Periodically Poled Lithium Niobate crystals (PPLN) by the Czochralski off-center technique for second harmonic generation;
(4) formation of metal nanoaggregates in dielectric matrices to promote alligation and dealligation of bimetallic aggregates with different composition and size distribution;
Expertise in material Characterization:
(1) compositional analysis by the Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry;
(2) optical characterization and photoinduced phenomena such as of waveguiding properties of films by the m-lines spectroscopy and Near Field technique, photorefractivity and holographic recoding;
(3) study of the spectroscopic properties of materials with optical absorbance, photoluminescence and time resolved spectroscopy;
(4) structural and morphological characterizations.
(5) microanalytical characterization by ion beam interactions;
(6) wettability and microfluidics optical circuit realisation.
Techniques Available: Material Characterization:
- Optical analysis (measure of the refractive index, optical waveguides, optical absorption, Near Field, optical diffraction);
- measure of photorefractivity, holographic recording and efficiencies;
-Compositional analysis by Secondary Ion Mass spectrometry;
-Structural analysis by High resolution X-ray diffraction;
-Morphological analysis by AFM;
- microanalytical characterization by RBS and PIXE technique;
- wettability and microfluidics testing (flux and droplets, imaging).
-Deposition of thin films by RF-sputtering
-growth of lithium niobate crystals by the Czochralski tecnique;
-thermal annealings in controlled atmosphere
Request Expertise: Collaboration in opto-microfluidics development of lab-on chip systems.